Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rest for the Wary and Burgeoning

I feel it is time to put Angus MacKenzie to rest. He was a good deck, but I think it's time to move onto more winning pastures. So here is my eulogy:


General: (1)
Angus MacKenzie


Creatures: (14)
Birds of Paradise
Noble Hierarch
Ethersworn Canonist
Kami of the Crescent Moon
Stonecloaker
Wall of Denial
Walking Archive
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Solemn Simulacrum
Sphinx of Jwar Isle
Sun Titan
Ith, High Arcanist
Empyrial Archangel
Blazing Archon


Plainswalker: (6)
Garruk Wildspeaker
Venser, the Sojourner
Tezzeret, the Seeker
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Ajani Goldmane
Gideon Jura


Artifacts: (16)
Sensei's Diving Top
Expedition Map
Voltaic Key
Sol Ring
Lightning Greaves
Howling Mine
Grim Monolith
Horn of Greed
Crucible of Worlds
Crystal Ball
Whispersilk Cloak
Font of Mythos
Gilded Lotus
Eternity Vessel
Obelisk of Alara
Mindslaver


Enchantments: (8)
Meishin, the Mind Cage
Teferi's Moat
Rule of Law (I'm going to talk about this card at some point)
Leyline of Anticipation
Elephant Grass
Oblivion Ring
Ghostly Prison
Rites of Flourishing


Sorceries (9)
Hallowed Burial
Time Warp
Armageddon (Cool, Gather brings up the Portal version. Keen!)
Austere Command
Regrowth
Wrath of God
Akroma's Vengence
Chronomantic Escape
Final Judgment


Instants: (8)
Return to Dust
Tangle
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Capsize
Cryptic Command
Pollen Lullaby
Fact or Fiction


Lands: (38)
Tundra
Savannah
Temple Garden
Hallowed Fountain
Marsh Flats
Arid Mesa
Scalding Tarn
Wooded Foothill
Verdant Catacombs
Misty Rainforest
Seaside Citadel
Vivid Meadow (DOUBLE RAINBOW!!!)
Vivid Grove
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Reliquary Tower
Sunpetal Grove
Glacial Fortress
Selesnya Sanctuary
Azorius Chancery
Reflecting Pool
Maze of Ith
Stirring Wildwood
Celestial Colonnade
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Academy Ruins
Darksteel Citadel
Forest x4
Plains x4
Island x4


Angus is a really fun deck to play because there are just certain cards that make your opponents stop attacking you and start attacking each other. Rule of Law/Ethersworn Canonist are by far the MVP's of the deck. It slows down the game to your pace and with all the card draw, their hands just get clogged with junk. Players then start to play around what you have and start playing a different kind of game. That is one thing that I learned about chess is that the way to win the game is not how you position your pieces, but how your pieces dictate what your opponents do, getting your opponent into a situation that they have limited ways of getting out of </wisdom>.


There are certain cards that I would love to put into this deck, like.....Moat? But there simply isn't enough change in the couch to make that work. RIght now I am toying around with a Sen Triplets but I am told over and over again that they just get targeted. So we will see about that. 


In one of my last games though, it is worth mentioning this play:
My opponent plays Bribery grabbing Solemn Simulacrum out of my deck. I could see this play here (this is a lie) as a good play because he was short on lands (I wonder if he just didn't see the Blazing Archon in the deck. I mean, he looked through it twice...I'm not going to make up excuses). I then played Venser, blinking the Simulacrum from his side to my side, fetching a land in the process. Maze, Gideon and Elephant Grass kept my opponents at bay while I continued to blink the Simulacrum. I then used Vensers -8 ability and...let me tell you folks, if you ever have the chance to do this, I highly recommend it. It is so choice.


Oh and here is how the second game went:


Burgeoning


ntr.v. bur·geoned also bour·geoned, bur·geon·ing also bour·geon·ing, bur·geons also bour·geons
1.
a. To put forth new buds, leaves, or greenery; sprout.
b. To begin to grow or blossom.
2. To grow or develop rapidly.
3. To use to beat your opponents faces in in any kind of multi-player game.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment