Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tolarian U.

Going through my academics, I found out that film really appealed to me. There was something really fun about going to class, watching a film, and then talking about it. That is pretty cool. Of course, I had a hidden reason why I liked film so much. Film has a lot of unique and rich history, but the history of film only dates back to around 1880's-1890's. That means that film has only been around for 130-120 years, and for a good number of those years, there wasn't a whole lot of narrative story lines. It was mostly people kissing or trains pulling into stations. In the grand scheme of things, that is not all that long. Therefor, it made it a lot easier, in my own opinion, to study film as oppose to, lets say, history of Europe. This got me thinking a bit:

Magic the Gathering has been around since 1993. This means that in 2013 it will have been a game for 20 years. To many people, they use it as an income. They call themselves "professionals" at the game. The time people put into tuning decks, studying the metagame and playing in tournaments is usually more than the time it takes to study for some tests.

My question to the peanut gallery: How long until Magic the Gathering becomes an academic course in college?

Now, my other question is this: How freaking cool would it be to major in Magic the Gathering?! Granted, you would forfeit any chances of ever having sex again in your entire life, but you could write your dissertation on Dredge!

Imagine going to class and learning about the philosophy of land base construction. Your instructor would say something like this:


Please pull out a piece of paper, write me 38 lands for a commander deck that is for a blue, black, white land base. I would like the general theme of the land base to be man lands and graveyard manipulation.

I am being totally serious. I bet there is a school that you can major in Magic...maybe one of those independent, feel good-ery type schools. There is also a great deal of history you can go into with Magic such as when it was released, general pro-tour winner knowledge, evolution of decks, etc.

I think it is a great idea. Maybe it's because I went to one of those feel good-ery type schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment