Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Planeschase, cutlery, and garage sales.

So. Planeschase. About that.

I was fortunate enough to come upon a set of planeschase cards. I guess the easiest way of summing up planeschase is that planeschase is like Taco Bell. You are really excited for it, you think it's a really great idea, then all of the sudden you are terminally ill and the need to vomit is immense. We have played a few games of note that were particularly stupid. And here they are, Letterman style (but only top 3 [not enough for 10]):

3. This actually happened last night and it was pretty cool. We are at The Great Forest and I have three creatures all with about four power and I am sitting at a cushy one life. My opponent was at at four and had two creatures, one of them with flying, and a Serrated Arrows. I look at the board, do the math, and see that I am totally boned. I am all tapped out. Boned. So, I say "well, I think that's it." High fives were exchanged and that was that. Then I saw it. That little die sitting in the middle of the table. And in a moment of desperation, I say "what the hell" I roll the die and it comes up as chaos. +0/+2 and trample and all my boys are like Doran. That's the ballgame.

Gamers: 1 Planeschase: 0

2.  Ugh. The Glimmervoid Basin game. It's become partially a tall tale in our gaming circle. Here is the scene: Four player EDH, we are duking it out. We have been at this Planeschase EDH match for about a hour and a half, so we are invested. Glimmervoid Basin then showed up to the party. Already sloppy and breaking things as he walks in the door. One of my opponents is about to pass his turn and tells us to wait, and after a long time in the tank, he plays Grixis Charm, a normally harmless, terrible card....except it targets all of the permanents in play. Then he says it copies for all of his permanents, then he plays a counterspell type card to counter all the the Grixis Charm copies that target him. Long long long story short, we argued about how the stack works, and finally we came to the conclusion that Glimmervoid Basin is a douche bag and we are not inviting him to our parties anymore.

Gamers: 1 Planeschase: 1

1. Well, with the score tied up, we move onto my favorite planeschase game. Wanna know why? Well: We had just started a four player planeschase with our 60 card, what I feel like I can only refer to as "legacy" decks (it's really hard to have everyone play just standard or just extended, so anything goes). I was actually playing a elf deck that really closely resembled this except no Swamp and an extra Forest. So it was about the third turn and I had an Arbor Elf and maybe something else. This is where Otaria hits the board. I have a lot of dispensable mana so I start to roll. I hit chaos. I get an extra turn. On the extra turn I roll. Chaos. I keep going. This happens six times.


....pardon me? Are you still reading because I passed out at that moment. Six extra turns just made the Elves go nuts. Extra turns for a green deck? Please. Put that in the win column.

Gamers: 2 Planeschase: 1

Well, the score board shows it. It was a good day at Taco Bell. They only got your burrito wrong and have you Sierra Mist instead of Sprite. Today won't be such a bad day after all.


By the way, they spoiled the new sword. Ready?

Sword of War and Peace

Bonkers.

Moving on.

So, I have to give a special shout out to my girlfriend. Why? Well, she dragged me out of bed on a Sunday. Made me coffee. Dragged me kicking and screaming (well, neither...it was too early to do either) to a couple of local garage sales. So here I am, looking through all this shit and there, amongst the discarded bridesmaid dresses, old blenders and crossbows (yeah, a dude had a crossbow), I find a binder of Magic cards. I flip through it, ask the price and now I'm $20 poorer and more Magic cards richer. So, inside this binder was an Intuition, a Birds of Paradise (Sixth edition? Ew), a couple Unglued Lands and a bunch of other great cards. A lot of the cards I flipped for a Inkmoth Nexus, Go for the Throat, Pestermite foil and a bunch of other cool stuff. So, overall, a big win.

Moral of the story? Listen to your girlfriend. Get out of bed. Go to garage sales, thrift stores, and flea markets.

Sword of War and Peace. Bonkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment